An afternoon fire destroyed the elderly couple's three-story home at 503 East Fourth Street.
"It started in the kitchen window," said neighbor Andrew Blackwell of the house fire at the corner of Fillmore and Fourth. "I got the water hose and tried to put it out before it started flaming on the back part of the house … the whole back was gone in about 10 minutes."
"We were walking around the block when we heard a big boom," said Johnathan Horner. "The whole thing went up in flames."
"The fire started small, then all of sudden it was like it exploded," added Horner's brother, Matthew.
All four units of the Corinth Fire Department were dispatched to the fire which closed down a block of Fourth Street. As neighbors could only stand and watch, firemen battled the blaze for over an hour as smoke billowed through the neighborhood.
"It was instantaneous," said neighbor Robert Gray. "It seemed like the home was full of gasoline when it exploded."
The call to 911 came over around 3:10 p.m.
"Mrs. Sewell was standing on the back porch on the phone when I got her back," said Blackwell. "Mr. Bert was outside and was going inside to turn the gas off when I kept him from going back in."