Contact Us e-Edition Crossroads Magazine
Murder suspects appear in city court
by Jebb Johnston
Mar 06, 2014 | 222 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The men charged in Corinth’s two recent murder cases appeared in municipal court Thursday afternoon.

Sirdon Capanion Greer, 28, charged with two counts of first degree murder and one count of arson, waived his right to a preliminary hearing, meaning the case can proceed to trial. He continues to be held at the county jail on a bond of $1.2 million.

He is charged in the death of James Copeland, 67, and his brother, Jerry Copeland, 64, who were shot in the head and their home at 912 Second Street burned on Feb. 13.

In the case of Jerry D. Miller, 59, who is charged with murder and felony malicious mischief in the stabbing death of Greg Owen Scott, 43, Municipal Judge John Ross Jr. found probable cause that Miller committed the crimes, meaning the case will proceed.

Capt. Ralph Dance of the Corinth Police Department testified that Miller has a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia from his doctor and was found competent to stand trial several years ago on an arson charge to which he eventually pleaded guilty.

After the hearing, Clay Nails, the appointed counsel for Miller, said he believes the defendant’s psychological condition has worsened and noted that competency to stand trial and sanity or insanity are different things under the law.

Scott, who lived at 302 Nelson Street in the West Corinth area, was stabbed with an 8-inch butcher knife that pierced his liver on Feb. 27.

Dance testified that this followed a call of a vehicle burglary at a nearby residence. Officers arrived and heard screams coming from the 302 Nelson residence, where they found Scott on the floor with a stab wound.

Officers went to Miller’s neighboring residence where he came out and said, “I confess. I did it,” said Dance. He told police where the bloody weapon could be found — under a bed in his home.

Miller apparently threw large rocks at two vehicles belonging to two women who live at another nearby residence, causing damage to a Mercedes and a Jeep. Scott apparently confronted him while this occurred.

Dance said there was evidence that the two men had a scuffle, as Miller had blood on his ear and his glasses were in the street. No one witnessed the confrontation.

Scott’s wife was tending to their child and did not know that he had gone outside until he returned and she heard him yell, “The pervert has stabbed me.”

The judge did not allow questioning about why Miller was described as a “pervert.”

Scott died at Magnolia Regional Health Center.

Miller is being held with bond set at $510,000.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet