Daniel Lee Willis, 39, pleaded guilty to the charge during the March-April term of Alcorn County Circuit Court. Judge James Roberts sentenced Willis to 30 years in custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections with 18 years suspended, leaving 12 to serve, followed by five years of probation, according to court records. He must pay a $1,000 fine and $1,000 to the Mississippi Children’s Trust Fund.
The indictment from June 2013 states that Willis on or about Oct. 23, 2012, engaged in sexual activity with an individual under 18 while in a position of trust or authority.
Roberts ordered Willis to have no contact with the victim or victim’s family by any means and to register as a sex offender.
In other cases, the term included a trial last week ending in a guilty verdict for James Johnson, 54, on a charge of aggravated domestic violence. Judge Jim Pounds imposed a 20-year sentence with 10 years suspended, leaving 10 years to serve, followed by five years of probation. The judge also imposed a $4,000 fine.
The indictment from March 2013 states that Johnson committed aggravated domestic violence by strangulation against his former wife on or about Dec. 3, 2012.
Other sentences on guilty pleas from the term:
• Jason Allen Coughlin, 20, burglary of a dwelling — Suspended 25-year sentence, five years probation and $1,000 fine. He must pay restitution of $525 to one victim and $1,500 jointly with a co-defendant to another victim. He agreed to testify against the co-defendant, Charles J. Bray.
• Charles Garrett, 61, two indictments for sale of cocaine — Suspended 10-year sentence, five years probation and $1,000 fine.
• Edward Ray Shelton, 52, felony DUI — One year to serve in MDOC custody, four years probation and $2,000 fine.
• Erica Irons, 29, sale of marijuana — Suspended three-year sentence, three years probation and $1,000 fine.
• Marcus Shane O’Neil, 44, sale of diazepam — Suspended 10-year sentence followed by five years probation and $1,000 fine.
• Kelly Bobo Crowe, 31, conspiracy to sell methamphetamine — Suspended 15-year sentence followed by five years probation and $1,000 fine.
• Stephanie Shadburn Dyson, 36, felony shoplifting — Suspended 10-year sentence, five years probation and $1,000 fine.
• Sandy Stovall, 31, possession of marijuana with intent — Suspended three-year sentence, two years probation and $1,000 fine.
• David A. Tucker, 45, grand larceny (a Tishomingo County indictment) — Suspended 10-year sentence with five years probation and $500 fine; pay restitution of $9,200.65 to Ferrous South Metals.
(All sentences handed down in the March-April term will be published in the Daily Corinthian over the course of several editions.)