The board was also joined by Bill Davis, who was recently hired to serve as the board attorney for the district.
“We’re pleased to have Mr. Davis as our new attorney of record,” said Board President Ann Walker. “We feel like he will be an excellent addition to our district. He does a lot of work in the community, and we think that we will be well-served by his presence.”
Associated with the firm of Clayton O’Donnell, Davis is also currently the board attorney for the Alcorn County Board of Supervisors. The Corinth native holds a law degree from the Emory University School of Law.
He follows the late James E. Price Jr., who served as the board attorney for many years.
In actions on staffing, changes are coming to several coaching positions. The board accepted the resignation of Corinth Middle School football and basketball coach Fred Stafford. With his exit, the board approved Justin Parsons as head boys basketball coach and assistant football coach and Ben Cowart as head football coach and assistant baseball coach.
Parsons is also taking on the role of golf coach at the high school.
The other resignation accepted Thursday is that of Amber Hare, CES teacher.
Other hires include:
• Corinth Elementary School: Shelley Childers, teacher; Ive Toomer, custodian
• Corinth Middle School: Tyler Soper, English; Kristen Seals, English; Lanny Jones, alternative school teacher / assistant football coach; Patricia Henderson, special education assistant; Morgan Bradley, cheer coach; Tony Hardwick, assistant basketball coach / assistant baseball coach
• Corinth High School: Ben Cowart, assistant baseball coach; Leslie Bain, librarian; Tony Hardwick, history teacher / assistant baseball coach; Lauren Cheek, science teacher / cheer coach; Jonathan Beard, assistant track coach
• CES 21st Century Summer Camp Program: Jennifer Dickerson, director; Brandy Bell, co-director. The program’s teachers are Shelley Robbins, Megan Whitlock, Misty Jordan, Jennifer Taylor, Alyson Harvell, Melanie Mills, Leah Basden, Lana Moss, Lisa McDonnieal, Shawnique Ford-Rixner, Kendall Morgan, Lindsey Taylor, Jim Pinkston and Dimple Yarber. Assistant teachers are Ekebian Cummings, Erika Donnell, Tracie Patrick, Glenda Rogers, Denise King and LaSha Bearman.
• Custodial: Angie Drish and DPree Patterson
In other business, the board approved a lease agreement with Apple for 900 iPads and 1,800 Macbooks.
The board also accepted a $100,000 Excellence for All grant from the National Center for Education and the Economy for professional development and testing for college and career readiness over the next three years.