Login NowClose 











Convenience store goes up in smoke

A U.S. 45 traveler was the first to call 911 on Saturday night when he spotted smoke and flames coming from the Rienzi Texaco Quick Mart.

BY ZACK STEEN

zsteen@dailycorinthian.com

RIENZI "" It took six different volunteer fire departments from across Alcorn County more than four hours to put out a fire at a local convenience store over the weekend.

A U.S. 45 traveler was the first to call 911 on Saturday night when he spotted smoke and flames coming from the Rienzi Texaco Quick Mart just past County Road 410.

Alcorn County Director of Emergency Services Ricky Gibens said dispatch received the call at 11:23 p.m. and it took a unit from Biggersville Fire & Rescue "five to seven minutes to respond," said Gibens.

"We're not sure the cause of the fire, but it was a complete loss," he told the Daily Corinthian. "We believe the fire started in the attic area of the business."

Gibens said there were no explosions as the fire did not reach the gas station's four outside fuel tanks.

"It did burn awhile ... mainly because of cooking oil stored near the gas station's kitchen area that caught fire," said the emergency services director. "There were also a lot of contents that burned and several coolers inside the building."

The store's roof did collapse in the fire, but the outside canopy over the gas pumps was not damaged.

Gibens said the store is currently being rented and was unsure of the owner's intentions to rebuild. He said no state involved investigation would occur, but the fire was pending an insurance investigation.

Responding to the fire included volunteer units from Biggersville, Rienzi, Southwest, Kossuth, Farmington and Jacinto.

Gibens said crews remained on the scene until around 3 a.m.