Login NowClose 

Pursuit of kidnapping suspect ends in crash

Law enforcement officers respond to a crash on US Highway 72 after a kidnapping suspect being pursued from McNairy County struck another motorist before being taken into custody.

Staff photo by Mark Boehler

By Brant Sappington


The pursuit of a kidnapping suspect from McNairy County ended in a crash on Highway 72 early Saturday morning.

McNairy County Sheriff Guy Buck said the suspect had initially passed out in his vehicle at a business in Selmer and a female believed to be his girlfriend attempted to escape from the vehicle. An employee at the business witnessed him force the female back into the vehicle and drive away and contacted authorities.

Alcorn County Sheriff Ben Caldwell said his department was notified by McNairy County they were in pursuit of the kidnapping suspect and the chase was coming into the county.

Multiple attempts were made to stop the vehicle on side roads using spike strips before the vehicle made its way to Highway 72. Caldwell said he also went across Hillandale Golf Course at one point and officers attempted to stop him there as well.

At some point during the pursuit the apparent kidnapping victim was able to jump from the vehicle. Caldwell said she was uninjured.

The pursuit ended when the suspect vehicle struck another vehicle on US Highway 72 near Kentucky Fried Chicken around 7:40 a.m. The suspect was apprehended and transported to Magnolia Regional Health Center to be checked out before being transferred to the Alcorn County Jail.

Buck said the suspect will face numerous charges in McNairy County related to the abduction and pursuit as well as charges in Alcorn County. They will be working this weekend to get warrants issued for him so he can be formally charged.

Caldwell said several patrol vehicles were damaged in the pursuit as well as personal property, but he is extremely grateful no one was seriously injured. He said he's proud of the way all of the agencies involved worked together to respond to such a serious situation in which it appeared the kidnapping victim could have been in life-threatening danger.