Login NowClose 











Gusts uproot tree, snaps power pole

Powerful winds caused a large tree to fall across County Road 200 on Wednesday.

Staff photo by Zack Steen

BY ZACK STEEN

zsteen@dailycorinthian.com

Strong winds likely caused a large tree to crash into power lines and block a main county road on Wednesday.

Emergency dispatchers received the first calls around 10:30 a.m. of a tree down near the B Mart just east of the Corinth city limits on Alcorn County Road 200 also known as Farmington Road.

Southerly wind gusts "" some as high as 40 mph according to the National Weather Service "" helped uproot the massive tree. Loose soil caused by recent heavy rainfall and flooding likely contributed to the uprooting.

The tree fell across the road blocking both lanes of traffic on the busy thoroughfare. The tree fell across power lines snapping one power pole in half and causing damage to at least two more. Power lines were stretched and many dangled to the ground.

Alcorn County Sheriff's deputies and constables responded to the scene along with officers from the Farmington Police Department. First responders were there to assist with traffic control while ACE Power began working on the downed lines.

Tree cleanup lasted into the afternoon and many residents in the area remained without power for several hours.

NWS issued a wind advisory for the Crossroads area early Wednesday morning. The advisory forecast sustained winds of 25 mph or greater.

The high winds ushered in about a 24-hour window of possible severe weather, however the risk is not high.

NWS said gusty southwest winds would continue on Thursday and strong to severe storms were expected.

"Damaging winds will be the primary threat, with a secondary threat for localized flooding," said the weather service.

An 80 percent chance of thunderstorms is forecast for Thursday with a 20 percent chance of overnight rain.

The weekend forecast is a good one.

Mostly sunny skies with highs near 60 and lows around 35 will happen Friday through Sunday said NWS.